Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Post for Misty

I wrote a comment in response to a post by Misty and I wanted to share it because it is a lot of what I have been thinking about lately and kind of sums up my day:

I wonder similar things often about children. I teach 8th grade science and my students can irritate me with their irrational behaviors and brighten my whole entire grey day with their jokes and antics. I love them in the end and with 110 of them they all balance each other out (at least this year). Their sense of time is fairly warped and the things they are so completely certain of I see as shifting sand or the ocean itself.

I printed out your post a few months ago with the picture of you and your son and the quote about children laughing more than adults. Ever since you posted that I have been thinking about it and noticing why my students laugh. I will sit at my desk just staring at them trying to figure out why they find each other so incredibly funny. Every little thing is unbelievably hysterical to them. They are 13/14 and they think the world is at their feet and they don't care one bit about the rest of the world. It is so hard as a teacher to get them to comprehend more than their world. And in turn this means that their problems and crisises completely drown them. That is hard to watch and even harder to save. But the joy they have is something to learn from. So why do adults who laugh have to be incorrect and insane? I don't know. All I know is that I have as much to learn from my students as they do from me.

3 comments:

Carol Soules said...

Hmmmm..... lots to think about there. Kids can help one to learn to laugh (again). That I do know. Bu that lack of perspective that overwhelms kids when things go awry. That is a tough one. Too many of them face way too much, way too young.

Anonymous said...

Kids need to be kids it's such a speck in time in one's lifetime. Everyone should have that time to be a child. They have adult bodies with child like needs. In the 1800's and early 1900's they were stuck in sweat shops. Now children have parents that value the size of the home, brand of car over the value of their children. YOu better make me look sucessful!! I remember YEARS ago my father said to me..."Isn't it sad people WOULD NOT hand over the care of a diamond ring to a stranger but they don't bat an eye over handing over their children?"

But we're much more educated then past generations....right? I think not.

Anonymous said...

Jess, could you please stop by my blog and email me your address if you still want in the charm swap. My email address is on my profile.
Thanks,
Mary